WOW! It’s been such a long blogging break for me. Not good!
Quite a few things have happened since I’ve been away. We crossed into a New Year for instance. So, better late than never. HAPPY NEW YEAR!
The fashion wheels never stopped turning, regardless of the holidays. There’s been all the buzz about rock bottom sales and the excitement about Spring 2011 fashion is getting more intense every day. I can’t wait to blog about my favourite Ad Campaigns.
In the spirit of catching up, I’m thinking about New Year resolutions. Every year, I have Style resolutions and this year is no exception.
I’m sharing mine for this year, you can adopt them, just in case somehow you haven’t got any. Some are reminders, some are new challenges. Here goes:
1. This year, know your body shape and stick with the right clothes for you. Now, let’s face it, the body con is just not for everybody. What matters in the end is how you look in what you’re wearing, not the elements of the outfit. Knowing your body shape helps you know how to play with proportions and balance out your look. And there are so many options for what to wear, it obliterates any excuse to wear the wrong thing.
There are quite a few guides online for knowing your body shape and what to wear. You can look up http://www.bodyshapefashionadvice.com/questions.php
2. Wear clothes that fit. A close follow up to understanding and dressing for your body shape is wearing clothes that fit you. Tight clothes revealing unflattering lumps and bumps should be banished this year.
A style savvy lady knows that clothes should skim, not squash her body; all detailing should lie flat and not be scrunched between body parts. There was so much talk about Spanx and body shapers last year, they’re a wise investment, they do help to smooth out the shape under clothes and they were not made for the plus sized only.
3. Be more adventurous with style: This year, more than ever, fashion needs to be about fun. Experiment with something you’ve never worn before, a new cut, new color or fit. Try out a kimono, high waist pants or a bright yellow dress. Spring 2011 is full of colour, that’s a good opportunity to do something fresh and new. What’s the fun in wearing the same old stuff year in, year out. It becomes a drag.
4. Accessorize Accessorize Accessorize. This is almost cliché but definitely worth repeating. It’s amazing what one layered necklace can do to a basic tee. Accessories can transform in ways beyond the imagination, they are a work of art in themselves.
5. Keep it appropriate. There’s a new obsession with nudity in fashion, it literally went crazy late last year, what with the Vogue Paris calendar! I thought fashion was about the wearing of clothes???? Well, we are not going down that road! Not with the tons of things there are to wear.
Carey Mulligan was Harper’s Bazaar’s best dressed woman of 2010 and no one dresses more appropriate than this young British actress. We all can borrow a leaf this year.
6. Have the courage to express yourself fashion-wise. Once again, fashion is about getting dressed but it’s also about having fun. It becomes bland when everyone plays safe and no one dares to wear that turquoise silk blouse with the pink tulle skirt or the huge head-dress. Daring to express your individuality with what you wear is so liberating. There’s no case for blending with the crowd, that just stunts your inner Picasso.
7. Work your wardrobe. Who says you need to have a separate work wardrobe, day wardrobe and party wardrobe. The fun is in the mix and match. The same top or dress can go across the work, day out, night out spectrum. It all depends on how you work it. Given how much is spent on these items, they need to work as hard as possible.
I have an example here of what you could do with one lovely top.
These here are the seven gems of wisdom I will be seeking to live by Style-wise in 2011. Really looking forward to it being an exciting year for fashion. Have a truly wonderful, fulfilling and expressive year!
Pictures via Daily telegraph, Fashion Gone Rogue, Vogue